Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Home from General Assembly

I just returned home from Phoenix, Arizona, where my family (along with thousands of others) attended the 2012 General Assembly (GA) of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA).  It was a historic GA, our very first Justice GA.  We came as people of faith, from all across the United States, to stand in solidarity with those fighting for immigration reform and against the dehumanizing policies and laws enacted in our country like SB1070.

For my first several posts to this blog, I'll be reviewing what the experience was like, and reflecting upon what I brought home from Arizona.


More than anything else, I have brought home an overwhelming sense of gratitude and privilege.

I was blessed to attend this General Assembly.  I was blessed to be able to bring my entire family, and a youth from our congregation.  We did not have the economic ability to fund this trip, and I was blessed by being able to be a volunteer at GA to cover my registration costs.  The youth that came with us was blessed by receiving a scholarship that allowed for her attendance.  I was blessed with there being programming specifically designed to allow younglings aged 10 to 14 an opportunity to learn, engage in social justice and make connections.

I was privileged to hear the stories of families who are being torn apart by our current immigration system and it's policies.  I was privileged to hear the story of a family who's loved one is in Tent City jail, a man who was unable to be there when his now 3 month old child was born.  I was privileged to bear witness to the dehumanization of migrants and to be there in solidarity with them.  I was privileged to work with the Accessibility Team at GA, and to help make GA a good experience for so many folks who face marginalization so regularly.  I was privileged to be on-site at the candle-light vigil to ensure that those folks with mobility limitations were able to fully participate in it.  I was privileged to get to meet so many from all around the country and hear their stories.  I was privileged to make connections.

I attended GA in Charlotte, North Carolina last June.  It was educational and helped to transform the way that I approach leadership.  I had a completely different perspective regarding accessibility after spending the week in a scooter.

This year, I returned home renewed and transformed.  Working accessibility was more deeply moving and meaningful that I ever thought it would be.  The hallway conversations that I had helped transform the way I view being considered a young adult (YA) and how I can transform our congregation and faith.

May I continue to be transformed by the stories of others, feel privileged to be told them, to be humbled by them, and reminded of the blessings that have been bestowed upon me by others and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment